Paul wrote this letter to believers in Ephesus. He sent his greetings of grace and peace to the saints there ( v.1-2)
Paul expounded on the spiritual blessings of believers in Christ:
- Our predestination- God chose us before the creation of the world. (v. 4, 11)
- We are adopted as His children. (v. 5)
- We are sealed with the Holy Spirit who guarantees our heavenly inheritance. (v. 14)
Indeed what undeserving blessings for any of us! Paul drew attention to God’s many awesome attributes which are worthy of our praises:
- Forethought and purpose- God chose us to be holy and blameless (v. 4) and according to His plan to fulfill the purpose of His will (v. 11). God’s will is good, pleasing and perfect.
- Love- God predestined us to be adopted as His children through Jesus Christ (v.5). Think about the inheritance of a child of King!
- Grace- God’s forgiveness of sins through the blood of Jesus Christ (v.7). Undeserving grace, but freely given to us.
- Wisdom- God will bring all things on earth and in heaven together under the headship of Jesus Christ (v.10). All knees will bow to Jesus Christ one day, whether in obedience or fall under His feet awaiting judgment. (v. 23)
Paul gave thanks for the Ephesians believers who put their faith in Jesus and showed their love to all the saints (v. 15-16). It is always a pleasure especially to see a growing Christian, so much so that many believers often will give thanks for their growing faith and love in Christ. Paul expressed specifically in his prayer that:
- God will give the Ephesians a Spirit of wisdom and revelation so that they may know God better.
- The eyes of their heart may be enlightened, so that they may know the hope to which they were called.
- The Ephesians may recognize the riches of their inheritance and God’s incomparable power with them. The power that raised Jesus from the dead and elevated Him to the right hand of God.
Paul reminds me about the importance of praying specifically for others especially for my unbelieving family in regards to coming to know Him and understanding the gospel. May God’s spiritual blessings, love and grace overflow to them as well. — Lai Yee